emergency on planet earth

Bi-weekly updates? Not so great.

Wednesday night was the worst storm I’ve ever seen since starting college 3 years ago in Hays. I told Greg that the apocalypse would be very similar, but more continuous over weeks and weeks. My photos hint at what it was like, but it really was something to experience. What was amazing was the length of the storm, the amount of lightning it brought, and the amount of water it dumped. We set a new record for most rainfall ever received in a single day. Several girls on campus almost got struck by lightning. I was out in the torrential rain, covering the storm with my trusty Nikon wrapped in a trashbag. Sirens could be heard all evening, responding to fallen trees and fires from the constant lightning.

Thursday was production night at the Leader, complete with a large front page photo of a lightning strike right above McMindes Hall. I’ve never received as many complements for a photo of mine; I felt proud. After the paper was done, most of the Editors went out for drinks at a little bar near campus. It was an incredible amount of fun, and I bet it happens again.

Friday and Saturday were worthless, because I couldn’t stop sneezing for 5 minutes. It was terrible. I took my Clariton, and then even popped some Benedryl to try to make it stop. It didn’t even put a dent in it, so I spent most of my weekend trying to sleep. I fell asleep while watching Brian build his new computer, and awoke 2 hours later to find him playing games on it as if it had been assembled since last month. I was going to see a local band (who’s lead singer I know), but I figured that no one wanted to hear sneezing. They wanted to hear music.

Today I went and shot photos of a flute recital, presented by a faculty member. It was great! She did some very contemporary pieces, and even explained some very advanced flute techniques to the audience. Good stuff.

Later this evening, I heard the sounds of two very loud motorcycles nearby. The revving of the engines soon turned into a different sound, and then silence. Sirens followed shortly after, and I grabbed my camera and rushed outside. From what I could tell, two guys were racing on motorcycles when one of them went out of control. Right in front of my dorm. Half a dozen emergency vehicles came roaring up, and soon there was a crowd of firemen and EMTs around a figure laying in the grass. A large crowd of curious students soon formed across the street, wondering who had gotten hurt. The ambulance soon took the guy away on a stretcher, and I stayed my distance, shooting photos as inconspicuously as I could. I don’t really like taking photographs of sad things such as this, but there is a certain adrenaline boost that comes with it. After this last week, I just hope I don’t take another photo with an emergency vehicle in it for a long, long time.

Photos from today here.

And PLEASE, I know there is a lot of subject to cover in this entry, but it’s a fairly important one to me. Tell me your thoughts on every part of it.